- Last Updated: Wednesday, 11 September 2019 11:09
Volunteering and Employment
Could a few hours of your time change your life and lives of others?
We have volunteer opportunities at your local Children's Centres in the following areas:
- Breast Feeding Peer Support
- Assisting at the centres groups and activities
- Gardening in the Outback Community Garden (you do not have to be a parent to volunteer at The Outback)
You can apply to be a volunteer if you are:
- A parent of a child aged 0-19 years (0-25 if your child has a disability)
- Over 16 years of age
- Able to commit to a minimum of 2 hours per week over a 6 month period
- Willing to take a DBS disclosure
- Enthusiastic as no qualifications or work experience are needed
- Committed to improving family lifestyles
Volunteering can benefit you by:
- Gaining work experience
- Building your confidence
- Enhancing your CV
- Meeting new people
- Fantastic training opportunities
- Learning new skills
- References that can be used for future employment
Parent Champions are volunteers who are involved in planning the services delivered by Children's Centres. Parent Champions represent the local community; they ensure that they provide a voice for the views of the local community.
All Children's Centres have an Area Advisory Board, which are a group of people who come together to make decisions about all aspects of Children's Centres, such as:
- Planning activities - shaping services and meeting local needs
- Monitoring budgets
- Supporting staff to raise standards
- Supporting managers to take the Children's Centres in the right direction
Parent Champions attend the Area Advisory Board alongside other community representatives where they can feed in their views.
Parent Champions have developed new skills, increased their confidence and self-esteem and gained experience which helped them to get employment.
At present we have 7 parents who are volunteering as Parent Champions and supporting the Children's Centres and their local communities.
We are currently welcoming applications from parents living in the Siddal, Southowram, Boothtown, Sowerby Bridge, Hebden Vale and Todmorden areas.
If you are interested in becoming a Parent Champion please contact Kausar Shahid on 01422 434973 for an informal discussion.